View Single Post
Old 12-21-2014, 03:54 PM

Really good to see some strong viewpoints and discussions. We always must remember that this issue is old, 34 years since Caribou seasons closed and a problem was noted. In that time, no lands have been set aside and not one acre protected. We've seen task groups, committees and talks that never end. Recovery plans never get implemented and so on. In that time, ESRD could have saved the habitat but instead, nothing tangible has occurred, populations decline and the GOA moves totally into predator responses to show they are doing something.

So, this is now so far from a wolf issue that it is deplorable. People need to focus on what the government is doing and how truly wrong, unscientific and immoral these actions are. In some posts, people commented on the "proper use of poisons". I submit that there is NO place for poison in this situation. They have stated that only strychnine is used and their own literature confirms baits are checked only 8 days on average. Think about this. Anything killed at bait sites lays there for up to 8 days. Everything can feed on carcasses, secondary poisoning occurs and it's not seen by chopper crews. RESPONSIBLE persons would check every day or two max to ENSURE nothing else dies, that's how it is supposed t be done. Thus, we are seeing huge impacts from grey jays up to bears. Don't kid yourself, grizzlies are dying from this, it's just being hidden.

The GOA wants you to believe they are so responsible, a few years ago another trapper on Little Smoky had his 4 bloodhounds poisoned near his cabin. This was a at a bait site within 700m of his cabin and it was the first week of April with heavy snow melt. Grizzlies were out and tracks were in the area. ESRD removed the bait after he complained. Funny how they don't report that they poisoned 4 dogs and the eagles that were at that site dead. They want you to believe they are so responsible with strychnine but it is not fact.

The entire issue surrounding shooting ungulates for wolf bait is beyond belief. This is something that no one could reasonably defend as reasonable. Our moose #'s are way down, draw times are up to 7 years in 352 and more in other WMU's where they are expanding operations to. Think hard about wildlife biologists flying around in chartered helicopters at $2000.00+ per hour. On taxpayers $'s, these "biologists" attempt to justify shooting 196 animals for wolf bait/poison draws. These are people employed with tax $'s to conserve wildlife, protect wildlife and manage the wise use of wildlife. I have seen the carnage in the bush, undefendable, irresponsible and a crime against wildlife. In AB, we see the GOA promotes a Report a Poacher Program. We see reports of poachers getting convicted for shooting and wasting game, out of season hunting etc. That's a good thing and I support playing by the rules and CONSERVING for the future. So, how can anyone suggest that shooting and wasting 196 animals on winter range is not a wildlife crime?? Appears to me to be the biggest case of known poaching and wildlife abuse I've ever heard of. Kind of dwarfs the 26 animals killed by poachers in Edson that is all over the news and not yet through the courts. Where's the irony here? Is this not a two faced approach? This is why I'm so outraged by ESRD's actions when there are options to what they are doing. Maybe pick up road kills and use common sense!!!

It is known that ESRD is going to expand this "Program" to everywhere caribou live in Ab. So, the same poisoning and ungulate shootings will now occur elsewhere. Wolves will be shot and the scapegoated. And again, not one bloody acre will be set aside by the GOA to protect habitat while the talking and committees continue ahead into year 35 while the industrial machine churns forward. This needs to stop before there's no turning back. I fear it may be to late for the ecosystem of the Little Smoky. We better do what we can to ensure the "wildlife terrorists" that run these programs don't get the go ahead to continue this further.