View Single Post
Old 03-03-2024, 06:21 AM

I worked overseas from 1992 until 2008 so my ride to work was an airplane, most of the time it was at least 3 different flights, 22 hrs in the air and a total of about 35 hr with connections, then from 2008 - 2018 I worked as a consultant on jobs from Baffin Island to South America to China and most near everywhere in between, again the mode of transportation was airplanes, in that spam of 26 years I have flown on almost every airline that operates in North America, Europe, Russia, Mongolia and Asia and seen the best and the worst of air travel.

None of them were perfect but in the end they always got me where I was going, the air miles I racked up were awesome, the wife and kids burned up hundred of thousands while I was at work and I just finally used up the last of them in December to bring our grandson home from Timmins Ontario for Xmas so the free travel is over.

The very worst trip ever was in 2008 trying to get into a Bema Gold job site in Bilibino Siberia, 3 flights to get to Nome Alaska where we were supposed to take Bering Air to Magadan, 4 days of cancellations due to weather, believe me there is nothing to see in Nome Alaska in January. Finally back on the plane to circumvent the earth, Nome to Anchorage to Seattle, to JFK in New York to Frankfurt to Moscow to Magadan 51 hrs and 7 airports later I landed 1 hour from where I started out and finally got to the job site 8 days after I left home.

When I hear people pee and moan about 2 or 3 hr delays and little hassles going through airports I just smile and think buddy you ain't seen nothing, I have not flown in the last 4 years and it would have to be something really special to get me into and airport now, I've clipped my wings.

Ya'all have a good day and enjoy your warm vacations, travel safe, I got to go fire up the snow blower my runway needs clearing.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.