Thread: Camp stove
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergman View Post
Personally I find about 100ml per day per person is plenty. Years ago i read an article saying 200ml/pp/pday but I found that is way too much, and ended carrying out about a litre of fuel on an 8 day trip.

I actually did the math a few years back, including the weight of canisters/cartridges and that is where I came out with the 4-5 day limit.

Here is a good list of energy-density for different fuels: https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/f...ues-d_169.html

It also matters if you use a windscreen, and how much heat is transferred to the food/pot instead of going up to the sky. That is where the Jetboil excels, I believe. At that point it feels like spitting hairs, though.

The main thing for me is reliability, and comfort with using the stove I have. So whatever you end up with, practice with it, get comfortable with it, and be sure you can work it really bad weather conditions like a rainstorm/snow storm or sub-freezing temps.
That’s great information Sir. I’ve had a whisperlite for years but didn’t realize it was lightest option on longer trips. Never really sat down and figured it out. I’ll be using it on longer trips again.