View Single Post
Old 09-15-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
This 700 BDL walnut stock seems to have these bumps in the channel toward the front of the stock closest to muzzle. Based on the "rub marks" it appears to be touching the barrel in that location. These do, however, look quite uniformed touching an equal amount of barrel on each side (looks to me anyways).
I don't know enough about barrel harmonics, but read enough to understand the free floating idea ..... but these older 700's have spaghetti thin barrels and maybe they need some support up there??? I'm just going to have to shoot it and see what it does.
Seems to be barrels have gotten a little heavier/stiffer over the years (generally).
While I think it could be argued that the pressure point midway down the barrel would reduce the “range” of vibration, I don’t think there is any reason to believe that as long as each bullet leaves the crown at the same point in the vibration cycle ... that it would not follow the same path as its predecessor?

Trying to visualize this, let us imagine that the barrel is vibrating only up (with A at the zenith) and B at the bottom ...and at those extremes the shots strike 2” apart. Then, with the addition of a pressure point, the barrel vibration is reduced so the group shrinks. So, in that case, the pressure point “worked” to reduce group size. Trouble is that with temperature changes in either the barrel or stock ... the pressure on the barrel changes, so the vibration pattern also changes.
Now, let’s imagine the barrel is free floating and the load is tuned so the bullet exits the crown at A every time. Each bullet should follow the same path, especially if the barrel steel has been stress relieved. OK, I just made this up but it sounds possible doesn’t it

But seriously, skinny barrels can shoot well.