Thread: Rod Holders
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2020, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
I agree with you 100% on this. I now land more fish. I could not find Folbe's locally so went with the Scotty Orca. Basically just a heavier duty version of the Folbe. The one comment I might say is that to pick your rod out pick up the far side of the rod handle first and its fish on. Had/have many other scotty holders but the Orca is the way to go.
One other comment about the Orca. My very large St croix with shimano tranx reel does not quite close in it. All my other big rods work fine though.
TFH used to carry them, but doesn't anymore. I couldn't find the Folbe's locally either, so I ended up biting the bullet and ordering them direct. Not cheap, but worth it IMHO.

I ordered 3 of the small size, three of the large size, a couple of long extensions, and all the bases to mount them to my rails. I use the small ones as just convenient holders for spinning rods when you want to set one down or just dead stick a bait or have a slip bobber out. The extension is really nice when you're fishing in the bow, you don't have to reach way over to grab them. The large ones do all my trolling. They fit the 600 size Tekota reels no problem.

I grab mine two handed, one in front of the reel, and one on the rod butt, and lift straight up. I slide the front hand back to the grip/reel seat to hold the rod, tuck it into my body if need be, and use the rear hand to crank.