Thread: Hodgdon data
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
I think I may also have a rifle with a tight chamber or tight bore or both.

It is one of the early production model 43 218 Bee Winchesters. As I understand it, it was bought new, by my uncle, around 1952

I believe the factory rounds were developed to work in the model 65 which would have required significantly lower pressures if I understand it right.
Yet factory rounds, bought in the 1970s showed signs of high pressure.
As in moderately flattened primers, and noticeable signs of some case stretching above the base.

Recently purchased rounds show a bit more signs of high pressure.
Nothing alarming, until I had the case separation and hard bolt lift the other day.
If 9.5 grains of LG is showing pressure signs, and so is factory ammo, I would strongly suggest you take that gun into a smith and get him to give it a good look over. There has to be something wrong with the gun to be showing high pressure at such low load levels. My first suspicion would be headspace but it could be a combination of many things.

Factory 22 Bee ammo is truly anemic. Even top hand loads are low enough pressure you can use pistol primers with no issues. There is clearly something amiss with you gun. Let us know the outcome if you have it looked at. Best of luck.