View Single Post
Old 01-19-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
2. I own a 5 weight fly rod and some medium action spinning rods. The fly rod is definitely out. Anyone shore fished anywhere in the caribbean with your standard spinning rod? If so, what sort of leader, lures, line weight or type recommendations etc? Give it to me simple, I'm not even an expert angler in my home waters, nevermind Cuba.

Thanks.
I was told to bring a small assortment of spiners, spoons, and maybe a couple of jigs and to use a 10-15lb braid. Don't go with anything too big, as most fish off the beach arent very big, but can be fun to catch. I was also told to soak the reel in the sink over night after each use to keep that salt out. I didn't do this on my second go round, and I was cleaning a seized reel when I got home. Its also a good idea to clean the reel up before hand, and freshen up the grease just to be safe. I've only caught a couple of fish from shore down there, and they all went to the locals who asked for them. They were very happy to recieve them. Some places will even cook them up for you free of charge, so its worth asking about. As far as places to fish, look for coral that opens up into big areas, and try to run the lure just beside the coral. The fish will hide in the crack, and grab the lure as it goes by. Alot of times you can wade out quite a ways and fish edges like this. Hope that helps.