View Single Post
Old 07-10-2019, 09:00 AM

It sounds to me like our RCMP have been watching too much American TV.

How this would have been handled in the past -

(a) Phone the guy to ‘check his pulse’, tell him “there’s been a gun complaint, we’re obligated to check it out, do you mind if we come over and talk to you.” You’ll know in 30 seconds if the guys a nut case, or if the whole thing is a tempest in a teapot.
You’re going to go to his house anyway, but you’ll know if you need a swat team or if you might end up having coffee with the guy. (If I got a call like that call, I’d probably say, “yeah, come on over, I’ll put the coffee on.”)

(b) Listen calmly to both sides of the story, KEEP EVERYONE CALM, and make your judgement from there.

The trouble nowadays is, the RCMP have been given governance over firearms to an excessive degree. They are using any excuse they can find to discourage firearms ownership and intimidate shooters into just saying ‘to hell with it, I’m getting rid of my guns’.

I totally understand the need to take genuine firearms complaints seriously, but an over reaction is just as dangerous as ignoring it. I’ve seen first hand how young constables fresh out of Depot handle firearms, and in my opinion the risk of an A.D. in the above situation is greater than the potential of the original complaint. You DO NOT POINT a firearm at ANYONE unless you have a genuine intent to use it. There is absolutely no excuse to point a rifle at an unarmed handcuffed man, face down on the ground, nor is there an excuse to point a rifle at two naked toddlers out in the rain.

There is also no lawful justification to prevent a man from recording the actions of police - that alone is worthy of legal action.

If this mans story is truthful and genuine, the police in question have over reacted badly, and must be taken to task for it. If it happened to him, it can happen to any of us unless we bring their policy it to a halt ASAP.

We’re constantly reminded that we have to take rape complaints seriously, and investigate thoroughly. The only difference between this case and a rape is the absence of genitalia - it’s just as serious, and we have to take this mans story as true until proven otherwise.

For the moment, I’m completely supportive of him.

Last edited by Oldan Grumpi; 07-10-2019 at 09:07 AM.