View Single Post
Old 12-03-2018, 04:27 PM

Default My Best/Favorite Gear

I'm glad I found this post because I was thinking about starting one myself. I've hunted for many years in Ontario and Alberta and these are a couple of things I think are indispensable for personal gear. (cant add photos right now.. will edit later).

1. Outdoor Edge Swing Blade/ Gutting Knife/ with Saw: Ive gutted and skinned several deer with this combo. The blade is easy to sharpen, holds its edge very well, its easy to clean, and the gutting tool is the best one I've ever used when opening up an animals abdomen. The blunt end on the skinning tool protects from puncturing the guts, and the saw is very handy for cutting open the pelvis and sternum on deer. It also comes equipped with a high-vis orange, rubber-grippy, handle because when you accidently drop your bloody knife in the snow (which you will at some-point) you can find it again in a hurry. Are there higher end knives ? Most definitely, but this isn't a B-S Bowie or K-Bar pretty boy blade that looks good on your belt, its a totally functional hunting knife that I swear by. I think I bought it for 75$ at Cabelas, and they now cost around $100 for the package with the leather sheath;

Link here:https://www.google.ca/search?q=OR+sw...=1543878519014

2. Bun-Saver inflatable seat: I hunt from tree stands, logs, or while spotting and stalking. My best success, however, has been while sitting still.. This piece of kit is cheap ($15 dollars on Amazon), and I think I originally got it in Ottawa at SAIL or LEBARON sports. It is better than any sitting pad I've ever used and - if you've ever used a thermarest in the military (or similar) - it will literally save your ass, even if its wet. It is small, light, can compresses into a small-backpack sized lump, and you can walk around with it attached to your back/ ass without it getting in the way. When required, flip it down around your booty and take a load off. It works on cold, wet, damp, snow covered ground, logs, muskeg, etc. I recently lost my old one, panicked a bit a few days before hunting, and luckily found one on the google that shipped in two days. I don't leave home without it..

Link Here: https://www.amazon.ca/Hunters-Specia.../dp/B0016SG81K

more to come