View Single Post
Old 09-12-2018, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
You can never have your bow in hand to soon. Less movement done on your part, all the better.

I’ve had stands as low as 10’ and as high as 36’. Average these days would be around the 20’ area. If there’s good enough cover/back drop, I prefer the lower sets for better shot angles. No blinds in the tree for this cat. Pick a good back drop and stay still. If you’re 25 yards away from the trail you expect game on it’s no big deal being up high but if an animal gets in tighter than anticipated you best be well acquainted with a serious bend at the hips to shoot or maybe not shoot at all. A good harness system can pay dividends in such a scenario and is something I practice for. Doing so tied off at ground level will give you a feel for it before moving to an elevated platform should you choose. Biggest thing for an accurate shot from height is consistent form. Maintaining your T like in practice regardless of stand height/shot angle. Don’t drop your bow arm to the target. Bend at the hips and keep your form.
great reply, last question, at what yardage do normally draw your bow? I saw lot of does at under 15 yards in my first tree stand last friday but I felt they could hear me draw sub 20 yards.