View Single Post
Old 04-25-2013, 08:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
I got a 10' 8wt g.loomis nrx with airflo 40+ Its a sweet setup that does everything a guy could want. Ive been playing with it a bit on the bow doing single hand spey casts getting ready to hook into some [B]atlantic salmon[\B]this fall. For a 10' rod it sure is light. It has plenty of power, great control, very accurate and handles sinktips beautifully.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngiant View Post
Thanks Roscoe and good luck with the chinooks....They are tonnes o fun.
Just wasnt sure if an 8wt was enough to handle the chinooks.

That is exactly what I want the rod for.....and for the bigger Steelies on the Skeena this season.
Ummmmm.....Atlantics are not Chinooks.
That aside,Atlantics to Steelhead is indeed a fair comparison,they are very similar in both size and fight characteristics.That said,a single hand 8wt is plenty of rod for any Atlantic or Steelhead that swims and will comfortably handle Chinooks to 30+ lbs as well.

I'll second Jayhads recommendation for the Sage One.(imagine that Jay....we agree on something,haha )They are beautiful casting rods,although I beleive you were asking about single handers and he suggested the 8wt Spey model,the One 8100-4 is a single hand rocket launcher.

The ONLY concern I would have with an 8wt single for west coast vs. eastcoast salmon/steelhead would be its ability to toss the heavy flies and tips that are commonly used on the west coast any great distance.Not a concern for Atlantics where weighted flies are illegal,and not a concern for an 8wt Spey rod w/Skagit setup,but for that reason alone,if you insist on a single hander,a 9 or even 10 will throw the weight a bit farther and a bit easier.