View Single Post
Old 11-04-2010, 03:59 PM

i have a new .300RUM with the X Mark pro trigger, and if i understand this correctly, CNBC is reporting that it is models prior to the 2007 release of the X mark that "may fire" inadvertently, not the newer models. After watching the program and the Remington Response posted above, it's hard to say one way or another. I have hunted with Remmy's for years (they are 1980's vintage) and never seen this, in fact the new rum is the first one i've shot with the new trigger, and it has no problems so far...touch wood. If you have a new one with the Xmark trigger, it should be impervious to the problem stated in the CNBC report, as the new trigger has gone away from the floating mechanism that "may" become clogged with debris and has new plungers and mechanical stoppers to prevent the problem.
A few years ago, I was at the range with a friend who had a .22 revolver. it had a light "competition altered" trigger. I loaded the gun and as i was raising it to shoot, it discharged mere inches from my right foot. At the time, i thought there was no way i was near the trigger, but as time passed, the more i thought about it, the more i think i inadvertently had my finger on the trigger causing the firing. I was concentrating down range already, and i may not have been aware of my finger travelling naturally to the place it is comfortable, or used to being. In the moment, however, i was sure i was on the outside of the trigger gaurd. If you threw me in front of a judge, i probably would have said i was not on the trigger, and if you added the pressure of just shooting another person accidentally.... Who knows. Don't even want to think of shooting someone, accidentally or otherwise. But if i was so convinced in the moment it was not me, I would have to think i would have been hard pressed not to blame the gun. Years of reflection later, I'm not so sure.
At any rate, i feel that proper gun safety with all firearms is the most important step. I'm not sold on sensationalist reports, and after seeing some of the firearms in the report involved in the shootings, they are in bad, bad shape and are obviously not maintained. In testing after the fact by both sides, they could not get the guns to fire inadvertently. Also, the credibility of the witnesses are iffy.... and the states are litigation happy. I'm sure the truth lies somewhere inbetween. But if you have a remmy with the new trigger and you have an inadvertent fire, I would say that its a different problem, as it appears the new trigger is an entirely different system.
I'll keep my eye on my Remmy, and the old ones, but I for one am not going to get rid of it any time soon.
Safe shooting all, and be careful....