Thread: Hybrid???
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2018, 09:53 PM
Gone Hunting

I wonder how many hybrids we oldtimers have seen and identified as pure Whitetail or pure Mule Deer. Would we even know? I doubt it.

I know this from farm life. The offspring of a mixed mating can look like either parent or like something entirely different.
And even someone with a lot of experience with mixed breeds often can't be sure without a paper trail or scientific analysis.

I don't think it unreasonable to question an unusual specimen nor do I think it is proof of failure to properly identify said animal.

It seems to me to be hypocritical to jump to the defense of questionable hunting practices not expressly forbidden in law and to then jump on someone for having second thoughts about an animal that was initially correctly identified.

I see nothing in the regulations or in the wildlife act that says one can never have doubts about their identification of a harvested animal or bird.

Clearly hybrids exist. Why wouldn't someone wonder if an unusual specimen might be a hybrid?

I am more concerned with those who think they can be 100 correct in their identification with nothing more to go on then a grainy photo on a web page.

I could see one of those experts shooting a horse thinking it's a Moose.

George Bernard Shaw