View Single Post
Old 05-26-2018, 07:33 AM

Default Sako A7 in 7mm-08 or Kimber Hunter in 6.5CM?

Crap... deciding on a first centerfire rifle is hard. Thought I would run this by you good folks to see what input you may have.

I am a new shooter/hunter and right now I own a CZ 452 that I love to hike with and practice shooting. This new rifle will be bought for backpack hunting mule deer and elk with dreams of sheep (some truck hunting as well, but that will not be primary use). After the season, it will still be strapped to my pack as I go scouting and shooting in the mountain WMU's.

Both the Sako A7 in 7mm-08 or Kimber Hunter in 6.5CM will meet my needs/wants I am sure - low recoil, light with true short action that feels great in the store, stainless, just fall within my budget, can order them within a week, magazine for when truck hunting and getting in/out vehicles, and they feel like quality units.

Strengths of Sako - 7mm-08 may be more flexible as I can apparently run a heavier bullet for larger game and the rifle itself feels more substantial in my hand.

Strengths of Kimber - 6.5CM seems to be the hot thing and more ammo choices down the road may be available, it also may have a slight edge for target shooting. The Kimber is also reaaaaly light.

When I shoulder both rifles it is hard for me to tell which is better for fit without a scope. My line of vision is definitely higher on the Kimber and feels like I may need taller rings - the Sako nestles in nicely but may need a cheekrest.

Thanks for any opinions... serious and otherwise.

Matt