Thread: Reloading
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Completely agree but saying that, I started loading in the late 60s. Some of the tools I use today weren't even inverted back then. Other thing is, till I tried two or three hand priming tools, press mounted tools and bench mounted tools it would have been impossible to pick my favourite. Until I tried all three of the electronic powder dispensers I would not have known that I didn't like any of them and went back to throwing charges with Lyman 55 throwers. Until I tried a number of electronic scales I didn't know they were a pain and ineffective unless you want to measure to .001 of a grain, other than that a beam scale works better. Same is true of presses. My favourite progressive, Dillon 550, is very different than my favourite press for brass forming.

When I started loading there were VERY few guys to learn from. Now we have the benefit of AO, that has lots of well experienced guys on it like you, 260 Rem, Dick, Cat and a raft of others, as well as other internet sites where a guy can learn a great deal before laying down his cash.

Even then, you have to do it for quite a while to eventually learn what make, model and style of tool works best for your specific needs. Even then, often no one tool is enough, I have three different Calipers as well as 4 precision micrometers, depending on what I am doing.

Same as you, I have sold and replaced lots of different pieces but all in, most of them I got a real good chunk of my money back on when I resold them because I stayed away from bottom of the line junk. New guys can benefit from the advice here but I think all that get into reloading seriously will end up buying and selling lots of equipment.
This is why it blows my mind when people would rather not listen. I was told, as a result of this thread, that I’m an elitist snob. Well no, I’ve learned the bloody hard way.

-Billy Molls