View Single Post
Old 01-08-2017, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 510-Gem View Post
That's a fantastic idea. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For further clarity on the shoe horn. Begin with a long 15 to 20 inch plastic shoe horn. Cut the hooked, curved, hand end off leaving a relatively straight piece of curved plastic. Grind or sand the small end into a rounded relatively blunt point. Again using sandpaper, somewhat sharpen the small end using a single bevel angle. To do this I simply lay a piece of sandpaper on a flat surface and hold the shoe horn at the desired angle and sand back and forth until the desired amount of sharpness is achieved. Normally when I insert the horn under the pelvic bone small end first, I place the concave side of the horn upwards creating a small space between the bladder and the pelvic bone. Don't worry if your saw contacts the horn while sawing as you saw will not cut into the horn and will only slightly scratch it if anything. I have been using the same plastic horn for many years on all sizes of big game and it is still in excellent condition. I have never nicked a bladder since using this system.