Thread: New arrows
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2017, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORVIS View Post
So I bought myself a new compound bow.(Pse surge) just wondering what would be the ideal set up for penetrating through bone. I will probably have 2 arrows set up.
One for elk, bear, etc
One for Mulies and whitetails

Thanks in advance all
Orvis, as previously mentioned - no need for 2 separate arrows dependant upon game you're hunting. Choose an arrow that you like (either for speed needs or weight needs) and put it in the right place.

I used to shoot sub-400 grain arrows wanting speed (and I got it with the trade off of a louder bow) but now I shoot 525 grain arrows and have a much quieter bow. My range is still more than sufficient for hunting and my range estimation errors are greater, but then again I now own a laser rangefinder and use it quite a bit prior to the game coming in - rarely get surprised anymore.

Even with the 395 grain arrow I used to shoot, they still brought down a 5x5 Bull Elk because it went through the boiler room and stuck in the offside shoulder blade. Those same 395 arrows zipped through everything else (deer, rabbits, gophers). The "new" 525's will zip through anything as well - I just need to do my part and put them in the correct spot. And I use the 525 Easton FMJ's for 3D / target / hunting....

J.