View Single Post
Old 05-22-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Hardin View Post
I worked at the Caroline Gas Plant back when it was being built ('89-'90). At night you could see the lights of Olds, Bowden, Innisfail, (but not Penhold), Red Deer, Spruceview and the top oh the hill at Sylvan Lake.

I remember seeing the flame from the gas explosion that occurred about 2 kms south of the plant about 25 or so years ago from our house at night. I since Google Earthed the distance as the crow flies and it came out to 50 kms. At first I thought it was a neighbour's barn on fire 3 kms away. That's how huge the flame was. It said in the paper at the time that it could be seen from certain places in Calgary.
I woke up to a strange roaring noise and had to check the clock, it was so bright and that's a good 30 km as the crow flies. I worked at the compressor stations and at the Shantz end during construction. Buddy had the contract to clean the offices there. He charged for the entire family and it wasn't small.

Grizz