View Single Post
Old 10-03-2016, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Bear spray or firearm.

Bear spray works most of the time. Dead bears stop attacking 100% of the time. You decide.
Assuming you actually hit the bear in a vital area, otherwise you just have an injured and PO'ed killing machine after you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almer Fudd View Post
I've had a couple people who insist on yelling "Hey Bear" while hiking in Grizzly country.

I don't get it. Of the 500,000 words in the English language why would anyone yell "Bear".
The bears don't understand the word, but if you are hiking with anyone else why would you confuse the issue.
The word "bear" should be reserved for when you actually see a bear or signs of a bear. Then you can warn your fellow hikers to take action to mitigate the threat.

If you are around me and yelling "bear" when none are around, expect a thick ear.
I believe the reasoning for talking is because nothing sounds like the human voice in nature. Hey Bear is just the example everyone gives.

Lucky guy for sure, I know the area he was mauled in and there's a few big bears down there for sure. ON a side note, there is an AMAZING gun store in Ennis...lol