View Single Post
Old 12-07-2018, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiler_nation View Post
I am skeptical Nordegg is ever going to be Banff, or even kanaskis. Those two areas are a short drive from Calgary and located right off the transcanada highway. Nordegg does not have those (dis)advantages, so I think it is a bit chicken little to make the comparison....Hell. Jasper is not banff for that very reason.

As far as enhancement of hunting and fishing opportunity, I guess we just look at it differently. The fishing will likely improve BECAUSE access will be a bit more difficult, and I think you could say the same about hunting.

I agree with your perspective that logging often improves habitat, and that should continue in the PLUZ. I do hope that more modern forestry management practices will continue to be expanded in the Province and in the proposed wildland park in particular. I am certainly no expert, but there is a ton of old growth out West that does not seem to be overly productive, and it would be nice to see more controlled burns as habitat enhancement.

I understand that access to remote sections of the park will be difficult, but much of it was already restricted to ATVs anyway. I also think that you are not giving hunters enough credit...if my wife can walk into Lost Guide Lake with a 50lb pack I am sure many of our fellow hunters can do the same and then some (particularly if they think there could be some good hunting at the other end). I have no doubt that a majority will hunt close to the truck, but that means that there won't be as much pressure on the animals a bit further in. This should create an older age class (for those interested) and a more authentic wilderness experience.

Sent from my SM-N9200 using Tapatalk
This older age class won't exist there's to many preditors as it is. I'm not for or against atvs ect...but fewer traffic is going to have a negative impact game animals in the region. if someone were to go away from the town sites of Banff or Jasper a few miles you'd find the back country of those parks not to hold a ton of wildlife. And while I don't know this for certain but I have a hunch that wildlife population has slowly decreased since the installation of the parks.