View Single Post
Old 01-11-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I don't think I did, Mac. From the article I linked:

"On Thursday, the city said Calgary residential assessment values have decreased an average of four per cent in 2017 compared to the year before, while non-residential values have dropped by about six per cent."
The assesments have gone down obviously no one to rent space to.
But the assesment means squat when you get to set the tax rate where you want it.

"Acting city assessor Harvey Fairfield said last week 76 per cent of Calgary businesses will see a tax increase when bills are mailed out in February, despite an effective tax freeze."

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoytCRX32 View Post
So what is the mechanism that they are going to use on non-downtown businesses to recoup that lost tax revenue from the core? Business tax?
How is this They rejig the tax rate regardless of assesed property value to get what they want.

"a $4-billion drop in the assessed value of offices in the core, resulting in a significant non-residential property tax increase for many suburban businesses."

Arrogant Nenshi seems to have taken a page from Notley
"Apparently, math is challenging, but hopefully, she'll figure that out," the mayor said.
I'm happy to have her wade in; I'm happy to have her help, if she wants to help, but it's sort of helpful if she actually knows what she's talking about first

http://www.calgarysun.com/2017/01/10...all-businesses

Read the article, the city makes no bones about it. They are raising taxes to cover a shortfall. They do however like to make it CHALLENGING to sort how they get to the numbers they want.

I would like to add, despite a tax freeze, the city has not cut back spending but is using a rainy day fund to cover what the tax freeze amount is.
They were also very clear to point out the tax freeze was one year only.
Back to increases next year.

MAC

Save time... see it my way