View Single Post
Old 03-03-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehunter View Post
So its Sunday morning and I am bored so I thought I would share a very simple tool I made for the certain ooppsie you will eventually have when you come to the conclusion that a rifle fires better when the powder is under the ball!!

On the very left is a ball puller which screws into the ball. OK looks simple enough,but they are only usefull for throwing at the neighbours cat!!They thread into your ramrod and get drove into the stuck ball,but the threads arent sharp enough to dig in,and if it does your hand slips around the ramrod as you try to screw it in. Save your 5 bucks and I will show you something that works for half the cost..

This here gadget..

Its a handy dandy piece of ready rod with a screw welded to it..here is the business end. Take a piece of 1/4 inch ready rod and weld a #6 screw to the end of it. A mig welder works great for this,dont have a mig? No problem,local welding shop or autobody shop has one and will probably weld it for nothing for ya.So just above the welded screw we have a 1/4 inch nut,the reason for this is to lock things tight.I built this for a 54 cal rifle but with a slight adjustment in case size or tape it will work for other calibres. Take 2 30-06 cases,drill the primer hole out to .250 (1/4 inch) Slide one down the ready rod.Now the mouth on a 06 case is .308,but no problem.Grab a role of black tape and give the rod a few wraps to make up the difference and screw the 1/4 nut and case up so that half the 06 case neck mouth covers half the tape. Now take the other 06 case and drop it down opposite the first one. Just like in the picture. Now take and give both case necks a few wraps of black tape to hold them together. Run another 1/4 inch nut down the rod and tighten it against the last case,this way things are tight and lined up.The cases will be loose in the barrel so take your tape and give each case a few wraps on the base so that it is just snug in the bore.This way you know that the screw will be centered in the bore and on the ball...

So now the handle end,thread a 1/4 nut down a few inches,grab a piece of wood dowel and drill it out slightly larger then the rod. You want the dowel to be able to swivel on the rod.The reason for this is because as you pull the ball out,the rod will swivel with the rifling and wont hang up. Just like a cleaning rod works.Thread 3 1/4 inch nuts on top and tighten them against themselves.Take and drop this down the barrel so the screw rests against the stuck ball,a slight tap to get it started and take a ratchet with a 7/16 socket and thread the screw into the ball. When it stops,( and you will definately know it) Grab your fancy dancy wood dowel handle and with one pull...out comes the ball.Oh and give the exposed part of ready rod a few wraps of tape so the metal of the rod is not contacting the rifling in the barrel.

There ya have a ball puller that works every time...and only costs a couple of bucks to build!!
Good Idea for a range puller. The little comercial pullers are handy in the possible bag, for pulling your balls in the woods,but they are also hard on Ram Rods, and can pull the end off the rod if it is not pined in place and glued.