View Single Post
Old 09-21-2021, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
A lot of bowhunters are cross-overs from the world of rifle. Many have been told that shoulder and neck shots are deadly. The problem is that those shot placement choices require a lot of energy to be successful. That is exactly what is missing. Archers need to aim for the furnace room, shoulder and neck shots are ineffective.
I'll add to this. The one and only elk I've gotten with my bow was with a quartering-away shot at 20 yards. I aimed for a spot in the boiler room, behind the shoulder, with the exit point at the front leg on the other side. It would have been a perfect rifle shot.

With the bow, though, at that angle the ribcage formed a solid wall that the arrow couldn't penetrate, and it got deflected up and behind the shoulder. Poor thing ran for 800 m before bleeding out and dying, finally found it the next morning after it sat out all night in temperatures of +8 C. The meat didn't smell so great at that point, but I kept it and ate it anyway out of respect and perhaps, penance.

Lesson learned. A bow is not a rifle, and I will never take a quartering-away shot with it again. For this limited-skills archer, it's full broadside or nothing now.