View Single Post
Old 02-10-2024, 07:15 PM

Smile It Depends!

Hello,

If your Knee brace helps you and how much it helps you depends on the condition that your knee has causing the pain, the brace and how you respond to it.

Synthetic, lubricating injections, such as Synvisc or Durolane can be helpful for many people. Steroid injection can also be helpful depending on the condition but its frequency is often limited. Platelet rich plasma helps some people – this is private and my next step in struggling with a meniscus tear that is not much better after surgery.

Unfortunately, after all these therapies, the best decision may be knee replacement. Many times the above therapies are just to increase your quality of life and get you through until something more definitive needs to be done. However, some people experience great results, and it can keep them going for many years.

Me, personally, I'm getting measured for a custom medial unloader brace on Monday, because my meniscal tear is medial and there's also arthritis in that compartment.

Your individual situation is best discussed and guided by your family doctor and orthopaedic surgeon. I am not an orthopaedic surgeon, but I am a physician.

I hope this helps some of you. Good luck!

Cheers

Max