View Single Post
Old 07-31-2019, 07:25 PM

Default Elk Gun (almost) done

Here it is...I wanted a little more oomph than 308 for when I get an elk draw so I borrowed a buddies reamer, had KSA make a 24” / 12 twist barrel to chamber in 30-284 and fit in my BAT repeater short action using KSA bottom metal with a HS Precision detachable magazine in a KSA designed Wildcat stock.
I decided against trying to build a lighter weight rig (this rifle weighs 7.6 lbs without scope) to tame some recoil.

The brass is made by necking 6.5-284 Lapua up to 30 cal and then turning necks to fit a tight neck chamber. For comparison, the case on the right is 308 Win. I had Karl open the neck on a 6.5-284 Redding S die to 30 cal for resizing. And “chamber” a Wilson 30 cal in-line seater with the reamer used to cut the chamber.

Only had the rifle for a week and have tried only two bullets, both pushed by H4350. I have buggered some brass but am now starting to get it figured out ... ran out to the Range a second time today and shot these groups... and am confident the barrel is going to be a solid 1/2MOA shooter.

All that is left to do other than load development, is to paint the barrel black with Endura epoxy paint. Will get that done next week. Getting cataract surgery Fri, so no load development for at least two weeks. Going to drive me crazy.
And yes, recoil is “lively”

Last edited by 260 Rem; 07-31-2019 at 07:45 PM.