View Single Post
Old 03-14-2018, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf308 View Post
So I'm kinda confused why a 45 acp round with say 5-7 grains of powder is louder it seems than a 308 with say 44-46 grains or 850 fps - ish / 230 grainer vs a 2650 fps /175 grainer ? Google actually couldn't answer this I don't think .... hastily looked up , and we need questions like this here for us gun addicts

Is it cause the noise is subsonic and comes thru the breech while cycling back at you ..... or obviously much closer to your head .... 5" barrel vs 26 " and super sonic

Or am I Tripping ..... ? I haven't fired a handgun in a while .... about to get a custom 1911 , sold old one , and kids and work keep me busy , trying to get back into guns

Anyhow. The noise level just seems disproportionate to me but obviously physics are physics

Shoot !
Unburnt powder burning and the high barrel pressure being released into the air at the muzzle when the bullet leaves and the distance from your head. Short barrels are way louder due to all these reasons. A portion of perceived recoil includes these factors in addition to the physical movement of the firearm.