Thread: "Unrefurb" SKS?
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2018, 11:03 AM

Default "Unrefurb" SKS?

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but I searched, and no results came back.

I bought a hardwood stock SKS few months ago for a really good price from Cabela's. At the time I didn't really know anything about SKSs, only that there are few things more Canadian than owning an SKS LOL. All I knew was to buy Soviet, check the rifling, and check the bolt. I really haven't paid a whole lot of attention to it since. I basically just field stripped it once I got it home to look for any rust/pitting before tossing it in the safe, where it's lived ever since. I took it out the other night just to give it a once over as I'm planning on putting it into a Sabertooth aluminum chassis. In doing so, I started noticing some things, and I think I might have a non-refurb!

- No refurb [/] stamp on the receiver or stock
- No xxx'ed out serial numbers on the stock
- Blued barrel, no BBQ paint
- Silver bolt and bolt carrier
- Blued rear sights (refurbs usually get "in the white" rear sights)
- Non- painted bayonette

While I know that none of these things by themselves necessarily mean it's a non-refurb, but all things combined? I was also under the impression that if you buy from a big box store, it will be a refurb.

I'm hoping there's someone considerably more knowledgeable that I am that could give me some insight. I really don't want to mess with it if it's a collectible, even if only somewhat.