View Single Post
Old 03-04-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeks View Post
It is proven that there is no way to eradicate 100% of any species in a controlled environment, nevermind in a dynamic ecosystem such as a river.

k
In the Red Deer River no...but that is not what I am saying. There is a biological principle where you need a certain number of individuals present to make a self sustaining population viable. What that level is in the Red Deer...I don't know. If F&W surveys show few individuals but lots and lots in Rosebud Creek...we have a different scenario.

Rosebud is not a large river...Serviceberry Creek is much smaller again...in places you can jump across...

Treating a creek like this is very easy. F&W use to have rotenone in there inventory just for sampling...and it was efficient in getting them all.

And you can remove 100% if you want to...the questions is timing...are we too late...how much would it cost...will the government do it.

The flip side is...do nothing and what is to stop someone from putting channel cats in the North Saskatchewan or a Rosebud impoundment?

Talk about inaction all you want...but until I see the questions asked and reasonable responses back it does not make any sense to give up now.