View Single Post
Old 03-04-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeprli View Post
Just trying to say that fighting this may and will destroy already fragile native populations. If government cared at all they would not allow import of these prolific species, negative effects on native fish have been known for a long time.

These fish mature fast and have proved to be very succesful in their reproduction and overpopulating their teritory. These carp can use milt from almost any fish(within carp family) to fertilize their eggs.

Common carp for instance or grass carp are much easier to control and look what happened all across the continent, prussian is a much stronger and resilient compared to its bigger family members.

If authorities want to know about locations of these fish they can contact me, i will be happy to help. Although im certain they know more than they want to admit.
I understand what you are saying... The question is what is more fragile...in terms of ecology in Alberta...Rosebud Creek or the whole Saskatchewan watershed down to Manitoba?

Since you have a wealth of information on carp in Alberta...all I would ask is that you be a proactive protector of our fragile fisheries and report the information to F&W. Then you can compare notes of where, when, how, why. Maybe it will be beneficial to the problem at hand. I don't want apathy to be the ruin of our fishery if there was a possibility of making a difference now.

Cooper, Jason
Fisheries Biologist
Fish and Wildlife

Sustainable Resource Development
4th fl First Red Deer Place
4911 - 51 Street
Red Deer, AB
T4N 6V4

Phone: 403 340-7685
Fax: 403 340-5575
E-mail: jason.cooper@gov.ab.ca