View Single Post
Old 01-22-2024, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell87 View Post
i’m almost always a morning hunter now for this reason, lost one deer two years ago and it still bugs me. found it fast the next day with all the ravens and coyotes around.

there are lots of examples of it going either way but i try not to risk it. nothing is worse than loosing a animal. if i’m out at last light i try to pick my chances really specific more than what i would do on a stalk first light or early morning. i have met enough people who seem to be happy about making jokes looking for birds and such that loosing a animal dosnt seem to bother them much and that does bug me.

i do appreciate some of the advice here and i always have headlamp, spare lamp and batteries, glow sticks, ribbon all on hand for this very reason if i do plan a late day hunt. using the ihunter app to drop pins on locations is great to in general for tracking. being prepared or not for this scenario probably does affect how some people approach this
When bow hunting for Elk, I focus on the morning hunt, usually hunt till noon when or when the calling falls off. Morning hunts are longer jaunts, if I do go in the evenings its not the same miles as the morning miles.

When I do hunt with a rifle, its a lot easier, sit, call, watch, see and shoot.

In both situations, I rarely have left an animal overnight, did that once and as others have experienced lost most of the meat, so I do my best to retrieve and if I can't haul it out that night, I always carry game bags and I put up a meat pole so we skin and quarter and hang and retrieve the next day. Have never lost any meat this way.

Circumstances and situations change, so one has to adapt. An experienced hunter has to make an experienced decision for themselves.