View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schleprock View Post
Thanks for the info about the fishing guys. However, the doom and gloom forecast over what may or may not happen because of Fission Energys mining interests sounds ridiculous. The water from Broach Lake flows into Patterson, Forrest, Beet and Noami Lakes and then into the Clearwater river system. No one is going to try to drain Patterson Lake with an open pit mine because that would inadvertantly pollute everything from it to the Arctic Ocean. As to the area being overrun with asses, well I guess that there are some in every crowd no matter where you go and as far as changes coming to the area, some will be positive and some not but that is happening all around the world.
There is already a naturally occurring boulder train 4 km long with radioactive boulders up to 30 % U3O8. The amount of boulders in the overburden which is saturated with ground water that flows into these lakes naturally and have done so for the last ~10 000 years is so substantial I had heard that Fission was beginning to start pitching the projects as a placer uranium mine, before intersecting source rock. With deposits like Mcarthur River being one of the worlds highest grade uranium mines occurring in saskatchewan with naturally occurring outcrops up to 50% U3O8 and no significant contamination down stream it is unlikely that contamination will make it very far, with current mining practices. They are taking the product out of the ground and concentrating it, not spreading it around. Beyond Uranium city which was mined at a time with little understanding of the adverse environmental affects of mining across the board never mind uranium mining saskatchewan to the best of my knowledge has done a good job environmentally speaking when it comes to mining uranium. Reclamation has started and is still ongoing at Uranium city to this day, or so i have been told by residents.

You have to realize there is natural contamination that far exceeds the concentrations produced by mining in in some cases mining can actually have a net positive benefit for an area by capping, containing, and removing natural sources of contamination.

On a different note the previous owners of Forrest Lake Lodge will only be up there in the spring to help new management get settled and to show them the ropes.