View Single Post
Old 04-04-2020, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I cleaned a couple of rifles a few days ago with over 300 rounds down the barrel each since last cleaning. I cleaned carbon out. That was it. Both barrels had zero copper in them. Both rifles were still shooting as well as ever. So why did I clean them? So I don’t feel like I have to clean them for a while. :-)

Another rifle had copper in the bore and about 75 rounds through it since last scrubbing. It was a cartridge that burns a lot more powder than the previous two. However, it was still shooting as well as ever out to 600 yards. But I cleaned it. I even gave it a few strokes of JB’s. The bore is dime bright again, and lightly oiled. Mainly I did this for piece of mind around corrosion resistance. Probably a non issue as it hasn’t been cleaned since September (although it has seen a couple of oiled patches down the bore) and was all I hunted with all fall. So sitting in a heated safe likely would not cause rust.
Question for you Chuck, using your bore scope do you see any appreciable difference in copper fouling between lead core bullets compared to Barns banded type bullets?