View Single Post
Old 04-12-2013, 09:25 AM
Banned

Default Good topic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
well done.
It's nice to see a thread like this where muzzle loading is kept in the spirit and tradition of what it is. Simple close range shooting with basic gear. Unfortunately marketing has all but wiped out traditional Muzzle loading.
BIG X2 !!
Quote:
Recently heard the TC sidelocks are discontimued . Traditions , Pedersoli, and Lyman are still available. There are lots of options for kits at trackofthewolf.com
That's a shame if it's true?T/C has been a leader in the ever shrinking traditional market for decades,and their lifetime warranty is almost unheard of in the firearms industry.It wasn't all that many years ago that T/C offered 1/2 dozen traditional rifles from .32-.58cal,plus sidelock pistols as well.Coincidentally,I was just on the T/C website last week and aside from the dozen or more(?) modern in-lines(don't know/don't care?)they only list the Hawken .50 in flint or capper.If in fact they are now discontinued also,it's either a new announcement for 2014 or perhaps their website hasn't been updated for 2013?Either way,it's a shame,as mentioned in above quote,marketing has all but wiped out traditional muzzleloading.
Modern muzzleloader hunters it seems have no interest in the tradition or spirit in which these ML and/or "primitive weapon" seasons were created in the first place.They only want centerfire rifle performance in a rifle that meets the legal criteria to take advantage of the extra season opportunities,and the manufacturers have responded. Ironic really and sad at the same time that originally special seasons were created to fit the weapon,and nowadays the weapons are being created to fit the season.

Quote:
Perhaps we need a Mythbusters type thread dispelling the evils and downfalls of real ML shooting with black powder and lead balls. They are very reliable and simple , if we do our part.
Pete
Hopefully these pics will help dispel some of the myths regarding traditional MLs being unreliable,underpowered,or innefective/un-ethical for medium and bigger game?

T/C Hawken .45 caplock(no that's NOT a typo...it's a .45!!)
90gr FFFg Goex
225gr Powerbelt HP
100 yards thru boiler room
distance to recovery.....40yards
No,Powerbelts aren't exactly "traditional",but .45 cal conicals are impossible to find in southern Alberta in my experience thus far? gonna have to mold my own I guess?
Don't let anybody tell ya you need a .300 win Mag to hunt elk,lol

Couple pics of a .45cal/325grHP Buffalo Bullet that I recovered from just under the hind quarter hide of a WT buck after a 40yard,head-on shot thru the chest.For comparison,a .45cal roundball,and a 250gr .45 maxiball.Unfortunately,i didn't have a 325gr HP BB for comparison being as the very last one I had killed that buck,and Buffalo Bullet Co. had previously gone outta bizness. they are in fact kickazz,whomp'em,DRT bullets though.I've killed 2 other WT with that load,none of three took another step.Expanded from .45 to .875...deadliest mushroom in the woods,lol.

Keep yer powder dry....