View Single Post
Old 06-21-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdb8440 View Post
Can you point us in the right direction for these roads? Thanks in advance.
Anywhere that a GRA is undeveloped. The important things are:

1) Safety is always paramount for me; if there is a house close by, use some common sense and discretion. Nothing that'll tick a home owner off faster than a ricochet floating through their yard

2) Make sure you're outside of the City's legal boundary limits. Local bylaws will probably make your life a little exciting if you're not.

As for my own private shooting range? I have 3 of them. One is a little more heavily used than the other two, but it's closer. Typically only visit that one at first/last light for low light practicing as the other "traffic" would be lighter during those times (but not always). The other 2 are in a N-S direction and provide alternating wind / no-wind shooting scenarios.

Just takes a little Google Earth browsing in your neck of the woods to come up with possibilities. Saves time/gas and will give you a pretty good birds-eye view of the area; enough that it will eliminate most of the spots and hone you in on the likely ones.

IF HOWEVER, you check out one that looks good on GE and there's a fence/gate blocking your access - leave it alone. More than likely it's been closed off by agreement between land owner / county and you would be trespassing. Not all closed lands are evident, but fences/gates are a very good indicator that it's no longer public access. Sometimes this isn't the case, but it would cost you money to investigate and be sure - and then the possibility of harassment still would exist. Just move onto the next possible spot.

J.