View Single Post
Old 09-10-2017, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmicallef View Post
I can't remember a summer with so little rain. The other problem is they have no manpower should a fire take off. Once a fire reaches a certain size provincial crews might not be enough to handle things and a request for out of Provence crews goes out. Which there are not many of since mid July with all the other fires in the country. Why they waited so long to close these areas seems odd to say the least. But after the Fort Mac fire it does not surprise me that there are politics governing some of the closesures timing. If not than someone should be fired because they are not doing there job protecting the Provence's resources. And that will be the voters job come next election. Plus hunter's are not as responsible as other back country users, everyone knows that. I hope that's not really how they think. Or do they?hmmmm. If you really want to know the answer just see how long they extend the fire crew members contracts. One would think that if the fire situation is still that severe into October to keep a closure in effect for that long, than it would justify extending fire crews contracts into October too. ( typically fire crew contracts end in mid September and are extended on a week by week basis depending on the fire hazard) plus many crew members are students so staffing becomes an issue into the fall. I should also mention that the length of day , relative humidity and night time temps also have a bearing on fire hazard and activity . I did this for ten years and yes politics has a lot to do with it. That's one of the reasons I got out!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
HYPOCRITE!!! you my friend just black balled hunters. I am a backcountry user as well as a hunter and I am no more of careless being a hunter then I am a backcountry user, and there are a lot more campers then hunters. If the government truely cared about the forestry they would have closed it way back in July!!!
He's basically saying the same thing as you. The sarcasm was just a shade too subdued.

It's brutally dry out east too. Yesterday 32C, 13% humidity with winds sustained at 30km/h and gusts to 50 km/h. One spark would have burnt an huge area in a heartbeat.

Hope for rain, or hunting opportunities will be severely curtailed this fall on private land too.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw