View Single Post
Old 02-22-2021, 11:42 PM
Gone Hunting

Leadership does take a degree of natural ability, but it also takes opportunity and a lot of learning.

Anyone can be a leader given the opportunity and training but that does not mean they are good at it.

The best leaders are born with a natural ability to lead, they are given the opportunity to learn to lead and then the opportunity to lead.

I've worked for guys who had held leadership positions for years and still could not lead effectively and I've worked for guys who did the job well right from day one. Many who had no previous experience in that capacity.

I've also ran crews very successfully.
Some of my staff were considered poor workers but they worked hard for me and were loyal to me, following orders without complaint.
I also had crews that would come back year after year looking to get on a crew I ran.
All the crews I lead were seasonal.

Could I have ran a large company? I doubt it, I did not have the required education, but I do run my own company now, all-be-it a sole proprietor company with one employee, me.

The thing is I don't like to lead, I actually prefer to work alone.
I also have no training, yet I seem to do well when thrust into the position.

It's kinda funny thinking about it now, a few months after I started my company I was talking to a successful businessman.
He asked me if I had a business plan, I said no I don't. In fact I had no idea what a business plan was or how to make one.
Well he asked me where I would source supplies, so I told him what I had arranged, then he asked me about financing and pricing, so I told him what I'd done with that. He asked some more questions and then he told me I had a business plan and he thought it was a good plan. I was shocked.

So is that natural ability or just plain luck? I honestly don't know.

George Bernard Shaw