View Single Post
Old 08-22-2019, 04:31 PM

If you've got one of Ron's dogs, good on ya, you lucky bugger!!! Great dogs and a great guy.

You can take it to the bank that pup has the right stuff, now it's up to you.

As for e-collar, I watched a buddy's top of the line Garmin, that I used to own, come close to frying his little dog on a water retrieve. For some unexplained reason the bark limiter started going berserk on the poor dog. It was troubling. The owner disabled that feature tootsweet.

I am running a Sportdog 1825 which has been very good, fits in the hand nicely, and is straightforward in its operation. I think they are all pretty good. I have purchased Dogtra electronics for my launchers, and they seem quite robust too.

I wouldn't hesitate to go with Dogtra either. The 1900s is highly regarded, and cheaper than the 2500, but does not have that beeper. I know some guys have it, and like it, as it is useful for locating your dog, but it drives me up the wall when guys leave them on at pheasant releases. I hunt with a fellow who uses one, but thankfully he doesn't leave it on, but uses it to locate his dang good dog who is often locked up solid on point.

Honestly, this is kinda like a Ford vs Dodge vs GM debate. Most work great. Get the one that is priced best, but make sure it has a mile range.