View Single Post
Old 05-27-2014, 09:34 AM

Default Wow!

There are some outstanding pictures and food in this thread, thanks to everyone who is sharing. Please don't forget to put up your recipes and cooking methods. biggie 29 that is quite the feast of meat there, what did you use for rubs?

Here is my latest smoking adventure:
A 5lb batch of jerky to snack on while we are fishing this weekend.
I tried out the Hot and Sweet spice mix from CTR, they have 4 or 5 flavours now.

The rum is from a buddy who went to Cuba, should make for a nice drink after a day on the water!

I trimmed up my deer meat so it fits through the grinder and added my spices and cure and let it sit overnight in the fridge. Then my trusty side-kick and I ran it through the grinder.

I added some water so it wasnt too dry and would go through the jerky gun nice and smooth. Then into the smoker at around 200F, I used hickory. I rotated the racks after 20-30 minutes to try and even cooking, that worked so-so, some of it got pretty crispy. After about 1 1/2 hours I started to take some of the jerky out when it was done. I like it to be plyable and not break too easy.

My smoker is from Costco, its a Smokey Mountian, I think? Basically a tin box with a big propane burner, have to really watch if its full because the stuff at the back and bottom cooks much faster. Here is a pic with some sausage in it.

And here is the jerky, its got a good bite to it heat wise that builds as you eat the jerky, and just a little sweet onthe front end. Will go great with a cold beer I think:

I buy most of my supplies from CTR they are very helpful and have good prices. Jerky guns for 25 bucks right now and the Bradley jerky racks are cheaper there than at Wholesale.

Happy smoking!!