Thread: Making camp
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2019, 08:51 PM

Default Making camp

If you're like me you have started to think about the upcoming season, you're checking out your gear and seeing what pieces need to be added, you have checked trail cams to see what survived the winter and you're probably starting to sort out the details for the adventures to come.

In past hunting seasons I have never made camp, I pretty much always left home super early and returned home quite late.... only to do it again the very next day. By the end of November last year I was starting to get worn down and I had burned a lot of fuel. So this spring I purchased a 8' truck camperette. I actually keep it on a trailer to keep it simple and that way I can keep the topper on my truck. I typically hunt WMU 316, 318, 412 ect.

I’m pretty fortunate and have 11 consecutive days to hunt this November, basically over the peak of the rut. Because of that I will try to make a stay of it. I was doing a bit of scouting and reading the PLUZ rules and guidelines. To sum it up, I understand I can set up camp anywhere that isn’t a no camping zone, if it is a no camping zone then I need to be in a Camping Node. Of course you have to abide by the rules and guidelines, but they seem pretty common sense. Is there anything I am missing? I would consider staying in a campground like Burnt Timber, but I understand they close the first week of September?

I am also considering spending a good chunk of time in WMU 440 Adams Creek. I have always wanted to chase whitetails there, I know it’s sheep country but it’s something I just want to take on. I have a couple questions though, I will drive by in a month or so, but I am trying to do as much digital scouting as I can first. So I have a few questions,

If you were me, what type of map would you be looking for? and where would you get it? I have been so used to only using iHunter these days.

I would probably be looking to return to my truck each day, are there ample places to set up camp? I realize you can’t enter Willmore with a motorized vehicle. But would be expecting to hike back and forth each day, hoping WT country isn’t too far where I can make camp. I am currently thinking some place off the 40 just west of Wildhay.

Also assuming the weather is cold enough, how would you hang the meat? I realize there is an abundance of bears in the area, I hope at least some of them are sleeping. If for example I shot a deer one day but didn’t want to leave yet as my buddy still has a tag, can we just hang the deer high enough in the trees? What process would you use? Would you cover it when you’re hanging it? I have never hung a animal outside, I have either hung them in a garage or butchered the same day.

Thanks for any advice.