View Single Post
Old 07-07-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
3.5” 12ga throws roughly the same payload as a 10ga.
The 3.5” became all the rage on the duck marshes in an attempt to duplicate 10ga performance back when steel shot became mandatory and we didn’t have all the new non-toxic load options that we do today such as bismuth,tungsten etc.
I really don’t see any appreciable difference in birds hitting the deck with 3.5 vs 3” or even 10ga vs 12ga.A couple of my waterfowling partners back in the 90s were shooting 10ga semis and they didn’t knock down any more birds then me with 3” 12ga pump on most days,some days they hit less....it just cost them a whole lot more for ammo every day,lol
I think it just comes down to either you are good wingshooter or you’re not,trying to compensate for weak shooting skills by putting more pellets in the air ain’t gonna help ya much.
I agree, being a good shooter is paramount.
However, when it comes comparing 10ga with 12ga, the 10ga has some clear advantages. It can handle big shots (BB, BBB, T) much better compared to the same payload of a 12ga 3.5". Exactly the loads used for long shots - this is where the 10ga really shines.
Aside from that is sooo much fun to shot, at least the 10ga SXS my father had.