Thread: Home Brew
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2014, 05:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Haven't made a batch since I put my old house on the market, about this time last year.
Just put the finishing touches on my Brewing/gun room, and started a batch on good friday. (hope it doesn't end up tasting like hoppe's #9)
That "Angry home brewer" thread got me seriously considering kegging. Where does everyone get their kegging equipment from? (I'd use Ontario Beer Kegs, but they're from east of Lloydminister, and nothing good comes from that direction! )
Look on Kijiji and you might get lucky.I scored 3 corny kegs locally for $40 each and I also scored 6 glass carboys that cost me a total of $85.If you have a large Pepsi bottling facility near you you could try there for some used corny kegs.Another alternative is to approach restaraunts and ask if you can buy their empty corny kegs for the deposit they got charged.Pepsi corny kegs are ball lock and Coke kegs are pin lock with Pepsi being the most popular.

Making your own kegrator is easy.All you need is a doner fridge either full size or even a bar fridge or you can go with a chest freezer but this will require a temperature control unit which adds to the cost.All told I turned my bar fridge into a kegrator in 1 night and all it took was a drill and some bits and a hole saw along with a screw driver.You will need a shank and a tap or multiples of these if you and a few different brews on tap.You will also need gas connects and liquid out connects and some beer line as well as hose clamps and also a drip tray.Lastly you will most likely have to search Ebay to get the tap handle/handles of your liking as it looks pretty bad having a black plastic tap handle on your kegrator that dispenses cold fresh joy that you made.

Hope this helps.

FTH