View Single Post
Old 12-31-2023, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisRD View Post
Here is my approach to broadheads/arrows/tuning and an outline of the key things I would recommend you consider. If you want to go with a single bevel, heavy broadhead, the iron will's are likely the way to go. I've heard great things and will probably be moving over to them for next season. Also, if you are going to significantly change your setup, now is the time to do it as the arrow building and tuning process can always take a lot longer than anticipated.

1. Arrow building: Decide on your broadheads, get an appropriate arrow spine. I'd recommend micro diameter arrows. With your draw length and weight, I'd look at something between 450 - 500 grains total build weight. That should hopefully find a nice balance of arrow speed and weight. I would also go for a 125 grain broadhead over 150. Easier to find field points, small game tips, and other broadheads in a 125 grain.

2. Get a good bow tune (Jim Bows does a good job) and get your bow set back to factory recommended spec. This should include cam timing, cam lean, and arrow rest adjusted to factory specs. If you need new strings, this is an ideal time to get some new premium strings built and installed.

3. Paper tune and/or bare shaft tune. You can really go down the rabbit hole with tuning at this point, but well worth it.

Helical vs straight: Regardless of how the arrow is fletched, the vanes would never be installed "straight" rather they would be set at an angle using a straight arrow jig so that arrow still spins. You really just need to make sure that the direction of spin matches your single bevel broadhead.

Fairy Ranch: Lots of good tips, but in general I'd steer away from crazy heavy arrows. I also would not recommend the buying the arrow head/spine testing kit. Your arrow build should be purposefully built for your intended hunting usage and then your bow tuned specifically for that arrow. Otherwise you'll probably find that shooting a heavy arrow with a super heavy head flies fairly good, but will be horribly slow and your arrow drop will significant.

Hope this helps. Compound bows are very dynamic machines where one small change can have a trickle down effect. I would highly recommend going through the tuning process as you'll gain a lot of knowledge and end up with a much more accurate bow setup.
Thanks guy. All the advice helps and will help get the ball rolling. I found a podcast the other day from Nock On with Iron Will as the guest, it provided some good food for thought on not going crazy on FOC.