View Single Post
Old 09-22-2012, 11:12 AM

Location: Just this side of no-where on the edge of common sense
Red face

This story stars me.... back a couple of years ago.

Some of the old timers here may remember Jack's Gun Rack that used to be on 118th in Edmonton. I had gone into the store as a young teenager working my first full time job eager to buy my first large caliber rifle. Having done my research by reading endless reams of stories by Jack O'Conner my caliber choice had been made. Now it was down to what make, model and action.

I was, and still am, a bolt action type of guy so that reduced the field somewhat. Jack was being patient with me and allowing a "newbie kid" all the time he needed to make this difficult decision while still waiting on other customers as they came and went. I really liked the Ruger M77 but was having some issues with the top load clip instead of a drop clip. Jack also had (if memory serves and it rarely does anymore) a Winchester, a Midland a Remington and perhaps some others laying on his counter in front of me.

As mentioned Jack was being patient and informative but I think he was tiring of a kid stuck in a wonderland of new firearms.

Jack: "Well, any decision yet?"

Me: "I dunno, I really like the Ruger but that top load clip I don't care for much. A buddy of mine has one and he says every time he drops the bottom open he has shells dropping everywhere on the ground and in the snow"

Jack: ...as he fixes me with a hard look..."Well then I submit to you that your friend is a fumble fingered idiot!" Then he started putting rifles away.

I bought the Ruger (on lay-away) and have never regretted it although I STILL wish it had a drop clip. LOL.

Okay, it was MORE than a "couple of years ago...sort of like 40 some odd years ago.
Regards,
Dave.