View Single Post
Old 10-18-2021, 09:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan15 View Post
That nearly happened to me outside of Hinton. Can't remember if it was a logging or gravel truck, but the rock that hit my windshield filled the entire cab of the vac truck I was driving with glass shards, and a 4" wide rock chip on the glass right in front of my forehead.

I didn't get all the shards out of my hair for a week or 2. Cut myself on glass shards trapped in my backpack months later. Closest I have come to death in my estimation. Elevated heartbeat for the next 7 hours until I made it home. Windshield was toast when I got back, soft to the touch, and there must've been 6-7 cracks full width of the windshield that spidered out. Rocks on highway are no joke in any capacity, especially those mowers. No amount of being careful can prevent catching a rock, timing just doesn't work out sometimes.
i can relate. in 1986 i was living in cochrane and driving home on the 1a in my brand new car.....met a gravel truck and a big rock fell off the load. it came bouncing down the road and all i could do was watch it come. it all happened so fast i couldn't avoid it, and it hit the front passenger's headlight. smashed it all out. extremely lucky it hit the headlight right on and didn't do any body damage. followed the truck to the worksite and got his details. after talking to the office people, i had a hell of a time getting them to come up with the 600 dollars for the damage, but prevailed and finally got paid for it.

if that rock would have hit the windshield in front of me, i don't think i'd be around to tell the story.