View Single Post
Old 10-05-2021, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderek View Post
Ok, I am curious of opinions on this, I assume you will all disagree as I am a Flames fan, However, I am a fan of McDavid and what he brings to the game, so an injury to him would be devastating...

Last night the goal was waved off as Tanev Clearly got his stick in between his feet. Mcdavid calls Tanev out for a dangerous play.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/ The link just takes you to sportsnet, I can't figure out how to link the video, currently it is the first story though on the link.

Again I do agree that Tanevs stick got in between McDavids feet, and believe the call to reverse the goal was understandable. However.. When you watch the replay, I personally think McDavid put himself in a vulnerable position trying to drive to the front of the net, that low down with that much speed. Tanev was clearly in his path already and honestly if McDavid didn't go down due to Tanevs stick, It is likely Tanev would have ended up smoking him, or even ended up clipping a knee. There is no right of way per say, but I definitely don't think when someone tries to cut in front of the net from below the faceoff dot, you should just give him a free pass.

Doesn't matter if its McDavid/Crosby/Mckinnon/Gudreau if you don't have the space to get there that is on the player. It is not uncommon to blow a tire doing that without contact, so assuming there is going to be some contact, and the fact that no matter who it is, will most likely always take a swing at the poke check....

Anyhow I am glad that he never got hurt, but I do believe the majority of the onus should be on McDavid when he makes a play like that. I personally think he needs to be a little more cautious when he does that, as it will eventually end up in an injury to him.
I’m sure he knows it. Coaches know it. And management knows it’s dangerous.
Personally I think it’s a gamble they are willing to take. Its just built into him to use his speed to every possible advantage there is.
It’s scary to watch. Its highly entertaining to watch. It’s ultimately effective.
Vegas should put odds on when his high speed maneuvers finally catch up.
Hopefully around age 40.