View Single Post
Old 07-16-2013, 01:05 PM

Default Simple Elk & Morel Stew (can be made gluten free)

This is a family favorite, and my original recipe that I came up with a couple years ago.

3 carrots
4 cloves garlic
3 bay leaves
2 tbsp Worcestershire
8 cups of hot water ( use 1 1/2 for soaking the morels)
1.5 lbs cubed elk meat inside round steaks
1 leek diced
1 onion diced
1-2 russet potatoes diced very small
3 russet potatoes cubed ( add 1 more if gluten-free)
1 cup of dried (or fresh) morel mushrooms (adjust amount to liking)
salt
1 tsp paprika

Cube up the elk meat nicely, no fat.
If you aren’t going gluten-free, you can toss them and coat them with flour then fry them up. If you are gluten-free, skip the flour and just fry them up until the meat is browned on all sides.
Soak your morels for 30 minutes in hot water.
Sautee the onions, leeks and carrots quickly and then toss into the crock pot. Add in the rest of the ingredients (mushrooms with liquid as well) and cook for 4-5 hours on high in your crock pot, again, this depends on how hot your crock pot gets. The elk meat needs to be almost falling apart tender and the potatoes/veggies very soft.
Take out 1 1/2 cups of stew and puree with a hand blender, then return to the pot to thicken the stew. This is the secret to a good stew "base".
Serve and enjoy!

This is a great fall stew! Or spring.. Or these horrible rainy Edmonton days....
I'm Karlynn, author/creator of The Kitchen Magpie, proud Canadian girl, mama & wife, creator of simple, family friendly food/recipes & lover of all things outdoors. Fishing fanatic. Writer of many stories, photographer of everything.