View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 09:27 AM

Default Gefilte Fish

Since it's Hanukkah, here is a traditional Jewish cold fish dumpling recipe. It's SO good. Shalom!

Gefilte Fish

1 1/2 lb whitefish
1 lb pike
1 lb walleye

You can substitute salmon, trout, burbot, or other firm pink or white fleshed fish and it should be fine.

1/2 cup water
1 large onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
2 eggs
2 to 3 heaping Tbsp of Knorr's fish stock for flavour (you can often find this in oriental sections at grocery stores)
salt and pepper to taste. I use a fair amount of these as the mixture tends to be very mild.

Bone and skin the fish, place all the fish and the chopped onion into a food processor and very finely mince.

Mix in the 2 eggs, water, the fish stock and the salt and pepper. The mixture will be quite wet.

Heat a large pot of salted water to a boil.

Shape the fish into egg-shaped balls about the size of your palm and drop them one by one into the boiling water. When all the fish balls are in the pot, cover with a tight lid, turn down heat and simmer for 1 1/2 hours. Do NOT lift the lid during the cooking.

When done, carefully remove with a slotted spoon, drain off and chill. The fish will continue to drain for several hours. Serve cold.

VARIATION: You can make a stock to boil the gefilte fish from the skin and bones of the fish, 2 onions quartered, 3 stalks of celery, 2 carrots, water, salt and pepper, but I've haven't found that this makes much difference to the taste of the gefilte fish. Instead I've used the Knorr's fish stock in the mixture.