View Single Post
Old 01-22-2022, 11:59 AM

Hmm...lot is issue I had with the video. Namely comparing a 18/20/24 volt system to a 36/40/60 volt system is not fair. First of all 18/20/24 volt systems are all the same. As are the newer 36/40/60 vols. It's how the manufacturer choose to name their system.

Having said that, 40 volt systems are the future of high torque, high power, high current tools. Cordless drills not so much but lawnmowers, chainsaw, blowers, and saws will see the most benefit. These high end drills will probably not exceed more than the 1200+ in-lbs of torque as it needs to draw a lot of current from the 20 v battery in order to produce this torque. On a 40 v system, one is able to produce the same power half the current.

So to compare a 40v Metabo/Hitachi drill to the 18/20/24 v Milwaukee and DeWalt is not fair. Of course it is going to win. All the major tool manufacturers have recently introduce 36/40/60v system and drills. If you want a fair comparison compare 40 v system to 40 v system.

Most dedicated battery powered ice augers are 36/40/60v for a good reason.

As for chucks I found that DeWalt and Makita all metal chucks to be the best. They just hold. Milwaukee is OK on their higher end stuff but the midrange chucks sucks. A chuck is the most important part of a drill for me. Nothing more frustrating than on a 20 foot ladder drilling and the bit let go or wobbles because the chuck let go.