View Single Post
Old 08-11-2017, 09:51 AM

Default newb wants to get into bigger fish!

Hi all. Pretty new to flyfishing. Moved to Calgary a couple years ago, I had dabbled with casting flies to Pink salmon when I moved to BC. Haven't really been out a ton snice moving here except for the last 2 months. I went on one Bow float with a buddy and guide, and got a rainbow on a section that I got out to wade.

I've tried some stocked ponds near Canmore, some wadeable sections of the downtown section of the Bow, Fish Creek park, Elbow Lake, Picklejar Lakes, one short canyon section of the Highwood, as well as Cataract creek. I'd say the average size of fish I've pulled out has been maybe 10". The biggest was a 12-14" rainbow in FCP.

My 7wt rod from BC is collecting dust and I currently have an entry level 6wt. Needless to say, these small fish aren't really bending my rod much.

Sooo...

I want to get out this weekend and get into some meatier fish! I don't need a trophy 20" brown, but man catching something girthy or over 15" would be nice! Point me in the right direction! (I'm guessing it's generically Southwest)...I don't need a secret spot named, but whereever I go would preferably be within 1.5-2hrs of Calgary, and not require boat access or multi-hour hike in. I think I've read enough to realize the the alpine creeks are going to have smaller fish, correct? (ie. Cataract creek).

I've got a plan to go take pics of Barry Mitchell's book in the library since I can't find it for purchase anywhere, and I'm hoping there's some suggestions in there. I try and be up early to drive and get out before it gets hot. I've started walking way more quietly and stealthily than I used to. My casting is likely "alright to average". I'm using polarized glasses. I just can't seem to locate nicer fish. Suggestions on improvements or bodies of water to hit up