View Single Post
Old 03-06-2017, 02:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetailaddict View Post
I trap and snare a few coyotes every year but I sell them whole frozen, so I don't know much about sending them to the fur auction, but I read here about some guys selling a coyote in the auction and getting best price in the top lot, can some one describe how the top lot works at the fur auctions?
I've heard from several people that after seeing the auction prices they had some regret about selling their coyotes whole instead of putting them up themselves. The reality is that there a ton of -$100 pelts in comparison to high quality ones.....even lots of $20 to $40 ones. I buy whole coyotes and sometimes I just break even after putting the work into putting them up, particularly with shot dogs. Other times I do well.

The top lot coyotes in the last auction totaled 10 out of 32,271 so it's kind of like winning the lottery. First you have to catch the right coyote and then you have to put the fur up perfectly. I'd say go for it but chances of turning the $30 coyote that you sold into a $460 coyote are very slim. If you want to put in the work of putting up your own fur you'll end up with a whole bunch of $80 coyotes before ever hitting the jackpot. Maybe finding a good custom skinner to put up your fur for you is the way to go.